Spicy Green Chile Chicken Rice Bowl with Roasted Corn and Pickled Red Onion and Jalapeños
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 jalapeños, stemmed and sliced into thin rings
- ¼ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- Kosher salt
- 2 poblano peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2-3 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Meat from 1 roasted chicken (homemade or store-bought rotisserie)
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup crumbled queso fresco
- 1 small bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place sliced onion and jalapeño in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, whisk together the vinegar, lime juice, sugar and ½ teaspoon kosher salt. Place over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a simmer. Pour the mixture over the onion and jalapeño and toss to coat. Set aside to let pickle.
- Spread out the poblano peppers and corn on the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread into a single layer. Cook until the vegetables are tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, hot sauce and 2 tablespoons of liquid from the onions and jalapeño. Season with salt and pepper, taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Spoon rice into bowls. Top with chicken, diced avocado, poblanos and corn, and pickled onion and jalapeño. Drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with the queso fresco and cilantro.